The picture from the moodboard was used to create the colour combination below. It was ‘painted’ with wax, using the technique encaustic art. The colours merge together, but using the iron I was able to create texture.
The woven piece above follows the pattern of the grid very well. Although it was a little constraining with the stitch, but I felt it reflected the design. It also captured the mood.
The word I chose for this was FLUID.
The colours chosen were fairly accurate and the materials used changed the mood of the whole arrangement.
Stage 3 experimenting with different materials
Think about the colours the proportions in which they are used and the energy that is expressed through the colour, is it calm or vibrant?
The picture selected to analyse was made with encaustic art, using an iron to paint with. Constructing the storyboard showed interesting ideas, something not considered before and found that it enabled me to move things around until I found a pleasing composition. Colours within the image, were inviting and calm, but also could be described as vibrant due to colours selected.
Look at the images: are they small and controlled or random, large, flowing? It is felt that the picture evokes movement but is unplanned as a result of the technique used.
What do they say about the atmosphere?
The word that best describes the image is Fluid, because the picture draws the eye to interesting elements within the picture.
Are there areas, ideas within these pieces that you may want to explore further in relation to your new piece?
The colour combination could be rearranged and joined to form squares. Within each of these have an image that flows into the other, but each of the squares opposing colours.
How it should appear?
vibrant colours/co-ordinate/balance of the composition
A moodboard was made using colours, texture and proportion
Using the grid wasn’t too much of a problem, as have made many tapestries, however this was using embroidery. The concept of this using weaving was totally different as the lie of the ‘stitch’ did not do what it was supposed to do. The colours in this sample were reminiscent of the storyboard
This was not how it was intended. but it has worked extremely well and shows texture and movement. This goes with the word Fluid.
This was an adaptation using the colours on the storyboard, just to see how a colour change would change the ‘feel’ of the piece.
Did you have enough variety in your collections of yarns and other materials? Which kind of yarns did you use most? How do their characteristics affect the look and feel of each sample?
The yarns chosen to work with varied from 2 ply, 3ply, textured or coarser yarns. The Coarser wools did not weave well catching on the warp distorting it. However the effect wasn’t as good as the textured wools, which gave depth and interest to the piece.
How did you find weaving in comparison to the other techniques youve tried? Did you find it slow or too limiting?
Initially the weaving seemed too complicated. The first piece (that I had done ever) was on a wooden loom. It was very time consuming, so changed this to a card loom. Whilst it quickened the process, the woven piece lost its rigidity. However using different materials, although not as tight, gave a softer quality.
How do you feel about your finished sample?
I was surprised at the results of the end piece. There were 3 samples made and all very different in design, but all had the same materials. But the way in which they were woven changed the whole design. One of the pieces distorted, by being too tight. I had noticed earlier on, but felt it was forming into a really nice weave. If I were to do again, the tension would be watched carefully. Overall, very pleasing results.
Are you happy with the relationship of the textures, proportions, colour and pattern to the finished size? Is there any part of it you would want to change? if so try to identify exactly how and why you would change it? Was there any stage in the whole design process that you felt went wrong? How would you tackle this process differently another time?
Which did you enjoy more – working from the source material or putting colours together intuitively? Why?
It was interesting creating different structures, for different reasons. Depending on how it was constructed, showed variations in colour, shape and texture. Some were easier to manipulate such as 2ply wool was easier to work with as opposed to long haired wools. The results of all these pieces, showed a surprising element of how weaving can alter a picture into something more tactile and colourful, whilst keeping the ideas of the original.
The finished sample kept to the colours of the image. But the design had to be adapted to fit in with the original pictures. If they were any changes to be made, it would be to do more preparatory work.
The mood board was something not attempted before so was unsure how to progress. Another consideration would be to choose a picture that has simple lines, colours and shapes. The picture chosen is different from the woven piece. I feel that I need to practice more with this technique and choose stitching a little more carefully. I preferred working more intuitively as the ideas flowed successfully. The source material shows how colours change the mood of a picture and this formed further ideas.
I used different pictures out of my sketchbook for inspiration. I wanted the freedom to explore the effects of colour change and shapes created. For example shapes within a shape.